Tuesday, September 19, 2017

FRIENDS

We all remember the television show, Friends, that showcased several young adults trying to "do life" together. They became a pseudo-family. The highly successful series resonated with its audience on several levels.

I believe many enjoyed the show because it mimicked a group of friends in their lives both past and present. For others, it may have triggered a longing for such a fun group to connect with.

This past Sunday, my pastor preached on the remarkable friendship between David and Jonathon of Old Testament times. He had a lot of important things to say about the value of friendships.

For me, good friends do three things:
  • They make me feel welcomed in their presence. I'm happy to be with them!
  • They bring out the best in me by encouraging me to exercise my abilities and tell me when I mess up.
  • They complete me. What do I mean by that?

I am blessed with a wonderful group of long-time friends. One of them has amazing spiritual strength. Another exhibits the gift of hospitality. She loves welcoming others to her home and making them comfortable. One blesses me with her sense of humor that helps keep things in perspective. One has incredible Bible knowledge and spiritual maturity. And one has the gift of nurturing others.

These women have much of what I lack. As I look to them as role models, I learn and feel completed.

One of my favorite New Testament passages comes from John, chapter 17, where Jesus prays for his disciples, a group of men he has poured himself into for three intense years. And...get this. He includes US in that prayer! Click here to read it for yourself: John 17. It's friendship at its very best.

* * * * * * *

Are you blessed with a good friend or friends? Cherish that.

To keep from being "me-centered" I should ask, "What kind of a friend am I?"

I must check myself:
  • Do I make others feel welcome in my presence?
  • Do I bring out the best in others?
  • Do I help complete my friends by openly sharing my strengths?
Whew. A lot to consider.

Thanks for reading, my electronic friends! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.