Tuesday, February 14, 2017

WHY I SIGNED THE LETTER...

Recently, I joined with Christian leaders and volunteers urging the President and Vice-President to reconsider the recent ban on refugees entering our country. I gave it thought and prayer before signing, because Mom always said, "Be careful what you put in writing." I think that extends to whatever you put your name to.

Here are my reasons for signing:
  • The letter itself was well-written and signed by Christian leaders I respect. It was polite, Biblical, logical, compassionate, and most importantly, it was NOT accusatory or inflammatory. I've had enough of that lately. It's evident a lot of careful work went into creating this letter that was posted as a full-page ad in the Washington Post last week. You can read it by clicking here. I especially like that the signers promised to pray for the President and Vice-President for God to give them wisdom dealing with complex issues.
  • The parable of the Good Samaritan is very convicting. I've read it for years in church, Sunday School, and Bible studies. I even taught it in Senior English in a PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL!!! (The King James Bible is Renaissance Literature and this parable is included in the approved textbook.) The gist of the parable is that everyone is my neighbor, not just those I agree with or like or worship with. All of humanity are God's children and should be protected.
  • A verse that swirled around in my mind when trying to decide whether or not to sign, is this one: "Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels." (Luke 9:26)
  • At the core of my Christian belief, is a love for missions--showing the love of Christ through caring for others. I can't set that aside as I view the plight of many frightened people trying to escape horrific situations.

I totally understand those who hold a different viewpoint. That's the beauty of our democracy--we can disagree and still live together in harmony and respect.

Thank you for reading. May God give us all wisdom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.