Wednesday, May 17, 2017

COMFORT WORDS

Words. Words. Words.

Lyrics (words) to songs speak to me. Always have, always will.

Our family is currently walking through a serious medical situation concerning an adult son. It's been a tough time, to say the least. How am I comforted during this stressful, extremely emotional time?
  • Prayer - my own, my family's, my friends'
  • Bible Reading - God's promises in Scripture are real
  • Love of community - family & friends: thank you for listening/praying/loving
  • Sound medical practices
 
There's another source of comfort, and that is words...to Christian music.

Old hymns from my youth
Praise songs from the 1980s
Modern renditions from my very progressive church
 
 
These words of comfort come to me at unusual times: in the middle of sleepless nights, during long walks, or when I'm feeling the most frightened.

Songs that are particularly meaningful:
  • I Need Thee Every Hour
  • Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Sweetest Name I Know - especially the line that reads, "...fear not I am with you peace be still, in all of life's ebb and flow..."
  • It is Well With My Soul
  • Let's Just Praise the Lord
  • God is So Good
  • The Joy of the Lord is My Strength
Click here to read the lyrics of modern praise songs:
My message to you: As life ebbs and flows, remember God loves you. He will walk you through whatever you must endure, he has a plan for you and your loved ones, and (as a pastor friend wrote to us), "God is God and he is good. He will never let you down and he'll never let you go!"

Take comfort in that, dear friends.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.