Thursday, June 4, 2015

More on Russia

(Note to Readers: the past year I've been writing new posts twice a week. I enjoy writing them and I like feeling connected to readers who carve out time each week to visit my blog. However, I have decided to pare that down to only one new post a week.


I started writing a sequel to my recently published novel, Route to Survival, and I'm finding it hard to find time to devote to it. The plot ideas are swirling around in my head and I must get them down before they flutter away.

 

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the blog posts. New ones will come every THURSDAY. As always, I appreciate your reading.)


Nice to see religious art at the Hermitage in St. Petersburg

Second Uplifting Event in Russia


The second, and more important redeeming event from our recent visit to Russia, was an impromptu speech given by our local tour guide at the end of our two-day visit. She acknowledged sadness about the animosity between Russia and the United States.

She assured us, however, the Russian people don't necessarily share those feelings. She said the people of St. Petersburg welcome Americans to come visit their beautiful city. And indeed, St. Petersburg is the cultural center of Russia with its extensive art collection, beautiful dance and music venues, and exquisite architecture. I realize tourism pays the guide's salary so she has an agenda, but her sentiments urging us to enjoy Russia seemed real.

She went on for three or four minutes emphasizing that the differences and animosity between our countries come from the political leaders at the top, not the citizens. It was very touching and something I took away from my visit to a very exotic, fascinating, sad, mysterious country.

Perhaps the lesson for all of us is that peace will come about only when common, ordinary people reach out to others, bridging the gap between cultures, beliefs, and lifestyles. Don't we all want the same thing--just to raise our families in freedom and comfort?

I enjoyed my short time in Russia though there were parts of it that were very somber, almost sad. I believe we all would benefit from interacting with ordinary Russian citizens. Many live a difficult existence but I feel their wants, needs, and desires are similar to ours.

Feel free to share this post with friends who might enjoy reading about the Russian people. Just click on one of the social icons below to share it on social media.


Madonna & Child
Sports Arena for Future World Cup
Opulence of the old palaces



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.