Sunday, September 27, 2015

Imprint

While channel surfing during the summer lull in television choices, I came across a nature show about a woman who cares for injured wild animals. Some of the animals can be treated and released back into their natural habitats. Many of them cannot because of something called "imprint".

Imprint, she explained, means the animal becomes accustomed to human interaction and loses something of their wild nature. Because of this, they can't survive on their own. Animal lovers recognize the danger of humans interacting too much with the animal species.
Grizzly bear in the rainforest on Vancouver Island, B.C. Viewed from a safe distance to avoid stressing the bear!

The word imprint:

 

This concept got me thinking about how various people in my life left their imprint on me. I can look back at my personal history and name several key people. Most influences were beneficial, yet there was a snooty old fifth-grade teacher who made my life miserable! She actually taught me what not to do as a classroom teacher.

What about you?

 

Who imprinted your life? Were those imprints positive or negative? How do you handle the negative ones? Only God can heal the hurt that comes from a devastating past. The good news is he will walk with you as you journey to overcome. It may take professional counseling and it surely will take courageous choices. Lean on God for strength.

I pray your imprints were mostly positive. We are the sum of our personal histories and those histories are filled with people who are important to our development.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Perhaps a more important question is, "Whom do I imprint?" You might be surprised to learn your influence is wide-ranging. Our attitudes, dispositions, faith, value-systems, words--even the expressions on our faces leave their touch on others we encounter.

As I mull over this word imprint, some interesting concepts come to mind. Imprints are all around me. I'm affected by the books I read, the music I listen to, the movies I watch, and even the news commentators on television that capture my attention.

Key to happy living: Let God imprint your life

Homework:

  • Take the word imprint with you today. Be aware of influences all around you. Are they valuable?
  • List 5 people from your past who influenced you in positive ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.