Sunday, December 14, 2014

Emmanuel

"I'm scared," Timmy wheezed as he grabbed my hand. (Timmy is now 40-year-old Tim.) "I know you are, Honey," I replied, trying to sound calm. It was the middle of the night and we were speeding toward the hospital with our six-year-old son who was having a severe asthma attack.

"I'll be with you the whole time," I promised. His handclasp relaxed just a bit and he leaned his head against my shoulder.

How many times have parents reassured frightened children with the promise, I'll be with you? Knowing we can't prevent life's traumas, our only recourse is to go through the experience with them.

As they grow older, we assure them of our spiritual fellowship, if not our physical presence: "I'm praying for you; I'm hurting for you; I'm here if you need to talk."

God, the Perfect Parent, promises the same thing. That's why Emmanuel is such an important name for Jesus: "God with us." We're blessed with the presence of a Parent who feels our hurt, loves us, and says, "I'm here if you need to talk."

When you are afraid, what helps you feel the presence of God?


"O come, o come, Emmanuel."

(If you know someone who needs to be reminded God is with him/her, feel free to share this using the social media buttons below.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.