Thursday, December 11, 2014

Let's Talk Classics

Many of you enjoyed the I Love Lucy special Sunday evening. I missed it but could probably tell you word-for-word what went on. As a child, I watched the original shows with my parents every Monday (?) evening. My mom laughed so hard she cried and couldn't talk.

Many years later, I enjoyed the re-runs during my lunch breaks as a stay-at-home mom. Thanks to Sunday's special, a new generation gets to delight in Lucy's straight-forward, slap-stick humor. They also get to witness how far women have come in the issue of equality (I know, not far enough but farther than poor Lucy, who feared her husband's wrath). For her time, Lucy was edgy and feisty, even though her gender corralled her.

 

 

Today's World

 

Compare the simple life portrayed in I Love Lucy to today's world. What we view on t.v. is frightening, out of control, angering even. We get news 24/7 and it ain't good! I think our minds can use doses of simple, classical, corny television. Maybe it would help wash out some of the reality we see on news stations and Hollywood tell-all programs.


Other Valuable Classics

 

The Dick Van Dyke Show, the one with Mary Tyler Moore, is one of my favorites. I own the set of all 150 episodes and yes, I can lip-sync most of the dialog because I watched the re-runs daily (again, during lunch. Hmm. I guess I took lo-o-ong lunches.). The script writing of the Van Dyke show was superb, thanks to Carl Reiner's genius. The themes were universal and are applicable to today's family issues.

Young parents: to learn parenting skills, watch Andy Griffith re-runs. He loved Opie yet firmly disciplined him to keep him "a good boy." He was a single dad at a time when that was an anomaly. Of course, he did have Aunt Bea. Wouldn't we all love to have an Aunt Bea in our kitchens, making Sunday pot roast and baking cookies?


Suggestion:

 

If you need a break from the ugliness of current events, treat yourself to some of those old classics. It will cleanse your brain.

Note to t.v. moguls: we need more good stuff.

Have a blessed, classical day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.