Thursday, March 19, 2015

Many Hats

Let me guess: you're behind at work, you're behind at home, and you have many guilt feelings about:
  • not exercising enough
  • not spending enough time with spouse, children, friends, extended family, etc.
  • not feeling peaceful
  • not feeling rested

Modern schedules are incredibly full. Responsibilities eat up our joy if we don't get a handle on them and on our ability to juggle many things at once. Technology is wonderful. However, it both helps and hinders the universal drive for peace.

Have you ever spoken these phrases to yourself?
I'm wearing too many hats
My plate is full right now
I want to be all things to all people
If I want this done, I guess I'll have to...
I want it all, now


These clichés come in handy when we're trying to say no to someone asking us to perform a task. But look closely and see if they truly reflect what you're feeling.

Some questions to counter the clichés might be:
Which hat(s) can I put on the shelf for now?
What can I take off my plate without damaging someone or something?
It's impossible to be all things to all people. How can I starting encouraging others to take responsibility for themselves rather than relying on me?
If I want this done and no one else will do it, can it be left undone?
Who made up that saying, "You can have it all"? What planet were they from?


News Flash: God gives you permission to set aside some of your hats, to say no occasionally. Try to weed out things in your life that are draining. Especially this time of year, many families are feeling the crunch of over-loaded schedules. Simplify in order to experience peaceful living.

This is what life looks like when you wear too many hats!



What do you do to manage an over-loaded lifestyle? Any tricks you share will be helpful to others. Use the "No Comments" section below to respond. Feel free to share with your over-worked, over-stressed, over-scheduled friends on Facebook by using the icon below.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.