Thursday, March 12, 2015

Rings of a Tree

Here's a photo of a very special item--a cross-section of a cedar tree my father planted when he was twelve years old. This is very special to my family because it reminds us so much of our dad.



When both our parents were gone and the family had to distribute their personal items, I was fortunate to receive the cut from the tree. Since I live 2000 miles from my two siblings, I was limited to something that fit in my suitcase. I feel privileged and blessed, knowing how meaningful this is to everyone. Note to family: rest assured, I take good care of it and appreciate the history involved.

Yes, Dad planted his tree outside his family's home in Norfolk, Virginia, in 1925. He married and relocated to Ohio but his family of origin stayed in that house until sometime in the 1960s. Sadly, a highway was planned, taking that home and many others.

What to do with that special cedar tree? Cut it down, of course, and don't tell the state because they itemized everything when purchasing the house and land. Dad was able to salvage enough wood from the tree to make three jewelry boxes--one for my sister, one for my sister-in-law, and one for me. We treasure them.

He also salvaged this cross section which is beautiful and memorable. Now you can understand why it's so important to our family. It reminds us of a father who spent a lifetime working with his hands crafting a beautiful home among other things. (More about that home in another blog post.)

Anyway, I wanted to share the meaning behind this beautiful piece of wood that graces my fireplace mantel. No deep Christian message or Biblical application. Just a warm fuzzy that bears sharing. Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.