Sunday, June 5, 2016

How's Your Equilibrium?

 I'm into vocabulary. Last week I learned a term, new to me. It is "punctuated equilibrium" and came from a geologist leading a Road's Scholar tour of the Snake River Plain in southern Idaho.

My husband and I enjoyed a great week of learning about rocks, lava flows, rocks, volcanoes, earthquakes, rocks, and more rocks. Only a geology professor can get excited about deciphering historical happenings from the colors and formations of rocks.

Shawn Willsey, geology teacher at the College of Southern Idaho in Twin Falls, used the term to explain geological events that cause drastic changes in the earth. Erosion usually occurs slowly--through sand, wind, and water. Things like earthquakes and volcanoes punctuate the equilibrium of the landscape because they cause changes quickly.

This is a mile-long lava tunnel I walked through....err, crawled through on my hands & knees!

Lava rocks, as the result of a volcanic eruption & lava flow many years ago.

I hesitate to write about this because the term is used by evolutionists, and those who know me, know I am a staunch believer in God's creation--he created the earth and everything in it. He created mankind in his image. I believe we are the crown of his creation and do not evolve from animals. (There. I said it.)

However, that term jumped up and grabbed my attention. I must think in metaphors because immediately I saw punctuated equilibrium as aptly describing life.

Think about it: hasn't your equilibrium been punctuated? Life throws curve balls. It kicks us in the teeth. Blindsides us. You chose the cliché that fits your experience.

If we have a pulse, our equilibrium has been or will be punctuated.

So, what do we do about it?
  • Learn about God (read his Book).
  • Trust his promises.
  • Lean on him.
  • Dialog with him, daily.....sometimes hourly.
  • Find support from someone whose faith is strong.
  • Get professional help, if necessary.

You can survive if you allow God to uphold you and strengthen your character.
"...we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope; and hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us" (Romans 5:3).  

If your equilibrium is being punctuated, have faith that God will be by your side.
"...the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you" (Deuteronomy 31:6)
 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.