Friday, June 17, 2016

People over Things



People Are More Important Than Things


Crash! As soon as the soapy antique china platter I was drying slipped from my young hands, I knew there was not going to be a good ending. Sure enough, it shattered into tiny pieces with shards flying all over my elderly Great-Aunt Lona’s kitchen.

My heart sank and my eyes filled with tears—tears I tried desperately to stifle. My mother, who was hand washing the dishes, gasped and stared at me with a wide-eyed look of silent shock.


I was ten years old, an awkward young girl in the clumsy, pre-pubescent state of development. My parents and I had driven from our home in Ohio to Virginia to pick up my grandfather and take him to Florida so he could visit his siblings, whom he hadn’t seen in ages. It was a memorable trip for him but also for me because I got to see Florida and to meet aunt Lona and Uncle Den for the first and only time. They were Granddad’s brother and sister, neither who ever married. I knew them from family stories shared around the dinner table.
    
It was interesting to watch the three old siblings interact. They were quite lively and their eyes twinkled as they shared antics of their growing up years. I didn’t know my reserved southern gentleman grandfather could laugh so much.


And then I dropped the dish. It was antique, like most everything in Lona’s house, and possibly very valuable. It probably belonged to her dead mother or grandmother, I thought, making myself even more miserable.


“Oh, Honey,” said Aunt Lona, noticing my distress. “Don’t you fret. That old thing? I’ve been trying to get rid of it for years!” I couldn’t believe my ears. My mother, who hadn’t said a word, let out her breath and I choked and sniffled, still trying not to cry. My aunt’s response amazed me. Her kindness warmed me.


I never saw Aunt Lona again but I’ve always remembered her. Her legacy lives on in our family through her recipe for delicious Pound Cake. This southern classic is truly wonderful. It contains rich, artery-clogging creamy butter, lots of fresh eggs, and enough sugar to gag a hummingbird. 
     
However, as delicious as her pound cake recipe is, I remember Aunt Lona for recognizing a ten-year old girl’s feelings are far more important than any possession, no matter how valuable.

When must I practice her philosophy?
  • when an elderly person shares details of a story I’ve heard a zillion times
  • when I break or lose something of sentimental value
  •  when a teen-aged child wants to talk far into the night altering my plan for a good night’s sleep
  • when a little one comes charging with muddy feet across my just-scrubbed kitchen floor to show me a butterfly on his finger
  • when a spouse deserves my attention more than a phone call or a hobby or a television show
  • when a family member backs the car out of the garage and hits the second family car parked in the driveway (it’s been done)
  • when a child needs me to drop whatever I’m doing and give him or her my undivided devotion.

Thank you, Aunt Lona, for teaching me people really are more important than things.

Southern Pound Cake
(Alona Faris)
5eggs                           ¼ t. salt
1 2/3 C. sugar              2 C. flour
½ lb. butter                  1 t. vanilla
            Set eggs and butter on counter to have at room temperature. Cream butter and sugar; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each egg. Add flour gradually. Add salt and vanilla. Bake 1 hour at 350° in buttered non-stick angel food pan. (If using Bundt pan, bake approximately 45 minutes.)

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful story, Sue. If I could only act as generously as your Aunt Lona! What an impression she made on a young girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story, Sue. If I could only act as generously as your Aunt Lona! What an impression she made on a young girl.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.