Thursday, October 9, 2014

You CAN Have a Happy Day!

We have lots of rabbits in Arizona. They're usually quite lean and have big ears--not as big as jackrabbits' ears but bigger than the bunnies from my Midwestern childhood. I love to see them hopping through the neighborhood. Quite often they're fodder for coyotes so it's a delight to see one running instead of hanging out of the jaws of a slobbering wild animal.

On my morning bike rides I often see the little hoppers, and when I do, I know it will be a good day. They make me smile as they dart across a yard and take refuge in a big bush. One day I saw five--five!--on one ride and I was ecstatic. "I'm gonna have a 5-bunny day!" I announced to my puzzled husband. He doesn't quite get my excitement.

Where has all the excitement gone?


When was the last time you truly got excited over something seemingly insignificant? I hope it's not as far back as childhood. The news is bleak, the world's a mess, our lives are topsy-turvy, and relationships are tough. Are we jaded? Where has joy over the little things in life gone?

I get so excited over bunnies because they momentarily take me away from the yuck in the world. Life is tough and yuck is all around. We need respite, even if just for an instant.

I know what you're thinking:  "Get your head out of the sand, Ms. Pollyanna." Well, no. I don't do that anymore. I've been there and all I got was a mouthful of grit. Once I cleaned the sand out of my teeth, the issue, situation, or problem still existed. However, I do think attitude and paying attention to serendipities can pick up any day--even the most awful.

My love for bunnies comes from my childhood in the country. We raised rabbits and often I would sit in their pen, stroke their soft fur, and watch their noses twitch as they ate food out of my hand. Of course, there was the time I unknowingly ate my pet rabbit (they told me she died of old age). I sure enjoyed that "new" meat my mom served (they told me it was veal). Years later, when the family thought I could handle it, they 'fessed up. Hmm, maybe I'm still not old enough to handle that one.

I digress and I'm getting gross. I started out with a coyote eating rabbits, and ended up with me eating one. The point I want to make is, look around you this week for little things that make you smile:  a hot-air balloon, a kitten, a child playing, or a squirrel running through your yard. Notice things and let them perk up even the most mundane, sad, difficult day.

I thought long and hard about how to make this blog post spiritual--you know, to go with the title, "Grow with God." Actually, the food chain is quite spiritual because God created it and set us up to rule over it:
"Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.'" (Genesis 1: 26)
He added meat to mankind's vegetarian diet after Noah and his clan descended from the ark, walked on dry ground, and built an altar to worship God:
"The fear and dread of you [Noah] will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground,and upon all the fish of the sea; they are given into your hands. Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." (Genesis 9: 2-3)
Guess that gives the coyote and me permission to eat rabbits. But that's not the point. What about taking joy in everyday observances? The closest I could come is from the 47th Psalm. You can read it in the translation of your choice by clicking on the link below.

This wonderful praise psalm celebrates the universal reign of God, and is recognized in both the Jewish and Christian churches. It is used in the synagogue liturgy for Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year festival), and it is used by Christians to celebrate the ascension of Christ. Read it and be blessed.
"Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy. How awesome is the Lord Most High, the great King over all the earth!...." (Psalm 47)
Wouldn't it be wonderful to see all the nations clapping their hands and shouting to God with cries of joy?

Read Psalm 47 from this link and have a 5-Bunny week!

(Enter Psalm 47 in the search box and select a translation or paraphrase of your choice.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.