Thursday, January 8, 2015

Push Yourself

Are you exercising yet? Going to the gym? Dusting off that old yoga DVD? Welcome to January.

We all play tricks to establish self-discipline as we vow to get back into an exercise routine. Years ago, when I first took up jogging, I started slowly--a half a block jogging, rest of the block walking. Gradually, I increased the jog and decreased the walk. Eventually I got up to three miles of non-stop jogging, a plan that worked for many years.

Pushing myself gradually works for me, whether it's cutting down on coffee (yes, family, I tried that once) or completing a difficult task or exercising. Now, it's a bicycle for me, thanks to a bad back and sensitive knees. Just when I feel I want to quit and go home, I ride a little bit farther. That increased effort results in more mileage and a better workout.

It works for other things, too, like difficulties in life. When you're struggling in a tough situation, it's good to remember you are capable of going a little farther, enduring a little more pain or discomfort. We have inner strength that isn't realized until we're pressed, physically or emotionally. (It's the "squeezed-grape-into-wine" metaphor at work.)

Sometimes a quote jumps out of a piece of writing and grabs me, entering my brain with force. That's how it was with Oswald Chambers' December 22nd entry in his devotional My Utmost for His Highest:


"Every man [woman] is made to reach out beyond his [her] grasp."


The message is clear:  Press on, reach down deep, endure. If you're going through a difficult, frightening, painful, or grievous situation, you have more strength than you realize. Deep within you is God's Holy Spirit providing divine strength. Call on him.

"The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation." (Isaiah 12: 2)

"So do not fear, for I am with  you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41: 10)


(Sidebar:  Oswald Chambers' writing is very austere and sometimes so deep I understand only every other sentence. He also has some funny British-isms that are a hoot to read but make understanding difficult. Often, though, there's a nugget that hits right to my heart, like this quote above.)

What exercise program are you vowing to take up during the new year?

Leave a comment and I'll report in a future post what readers are doing to stay healthy. Who knows, maybe it will inspire us all to try something new.


 



1 comment:

  1. I assume you're not talking about an actual dog but rather a difficult yoga position. Right? Thank you for reading & responding to my blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.