Sunday, February 8, 2015

Gratitude Cont'd

Picture this:

You spend time, effort, and money selecting or making a special gift for someone. You excitedly give it to them and watch their face to see a reaction. They look pleased, tuck the gift away, and go on with the conversation.

Ouch. To their credit, they return in several hours or perhaps the next day. Then they express their gratitude for your thoughtful gift and tell you how much it means to them. Does the saying, "Too little too late" fit here? It rings of your mom telling you to say thank you, after the fact.

It occurred to me, that's what I do with God. Recently, I had a day when several of my prayers were answered specifically. I immediately recognized they were God hearing my requests and responding. Trouble was, I didn't thank him immediately. It wasn't until later in the day and the next day that I remembered to express gratitude to the God of the universe for caring about my daily concerns. How must he have felt? Double ouch.


There should be no delay in my thanks!

What is the remedy?
  1. I should thank God when I'm asking for his help or guidance--before Amen. Not later, not when my prayer is answered, but right when I express the concern. That's demonstrating faith that God hears and responds. I know that intellectually but I need to keep it at the forefront of my mind.
  2. Some people keep a Gratitude Journal. This is a great idea that keeps you looking for the blessings that rain down every day.
  3. A good habit for adults and children, is to list five things you're grateful for every night before your head hits the pillow. I think it would induce happy sleep.
  4. Keep a Blessings Jar as described in last week's post by Alicia and Josh Gromer. If you missed it, scroll down to read it. It's delightful and keeps the Gromers spiritually on target even in the middle of some very trying circumstances.
God gives us gifts and answers to prayer every day. I am trying to remember to be a gracious recipient.

"Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift." (2 Corinthians 9:14)
"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever." (Psalm 107: 1)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.