Sunday, April 19, 2015

New Normal

Years ago, I was in a situation that caused a change in my life. In talking with a very special person, she used the term "new normal." It helped minimize my fear and assured me I could handle whatever life had in store for me.

Change is frightening, to say the least. Think about the most stressful times in your life and you'll notice it probably involved some sort of change.

We love to pattern our lives. Routines and sameness, though often boring, are safe. We love predictability because it means we can count on something in a world that is totally unpredictable. Wow....how philosophical!

When change hits, and it will, it helps greatly if you can label it with a term that is reassuring. That's when the phrase, new normal, enters.

What changes cause us consternation? Try these on for size:
  • geography
  • relationships
  • employment
  • health
  • status
Let's consider the biggy: a change in relationships. When that happens, it rocks our boat and causes extreme angst. However, if we can rename the event (whether it's a positive or negative change) it becomes doable. New Normal can be very soothing. Though the word new is a bit scary, the term normal denotes something comfortable and familiar.

Think of a time you were stressed by some change in your life. Perhaps it's now. Mentally label your situation and the changes you made as the new normal. Does that encourage you to approach the problem with strength?

God continually puts change before us to grow us closer to him and to strengthen us. It's life. Without it, we would be bored and boring. How we handle it determines our level of happiness.

Take these verses to heart to help you keep perspective:

Psalm 118:6-7 New International Version (NIV)

6The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid.
    What can mere mortals do to me?
The Lord is with me; he is my helper.
    I look in triumph on my enemies.

 Philippians 4:13New International Version (NIV)
13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.


Next time a surprise causes you stress think, "This is my new normal."

"I can handle this, I just need to adjust my thinking and acting."
It works--I promise! 

Respond:  When major change threw you for a loop, how did you handle it? How did you survive? Other readers will benefit from your advice. Use the Comments section below. Thank you for participating.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.