Thursday, July 16, 2015

Church and State

Concerning the separation of Church and State:

In Sweden, everyone must pay a tax to the Lutheran Church--whether Lutheran in belief or not. However, only 1 or 2% of the population attends the Lutheran Church regularly. If you want to get married or buried in the church, your taxes must be paid up.

It really hit me how fortunate we are to have separation of Church and State. I would hate for my government to tax me for a certain religious institution of their choosing. I want to select my own pathway to worship the God whom I believe is Truth. It is a freedom--freedom of worship--that is extremely important.

So, there you have it. I loved visiting the European cities and learning about their history. I was especially moved by the continual reminder of the devastation those countries endured during both World Wars. I learned a lot but I also came away appreciative of the freedoms I have as a citizen of the United States.

To see the four oil paintings done by Norman Rockwell in 1943, reflecting FDR's Four Freedoms State of the Union Address of 1941, click here: Four Freedoms. Think how important these freedoms are to our lives:
  1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Freedom of Worship
  3. Freedom from Want
  4. Freedom from Fear



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.