Thursday, July 30, 2015

How to Read a Book!

Dear Readers,
I know, I know. You know how to read a book. But are you getting your money’s worth? Let me explain.
There are nuggets in a book you might be overlooking. E-books usually start the reader off with Chapter 1, but there is a lot of solid information before you even get to that spot. Consider this:
  • The Cover – the cover of a book is responsible for grabbing the reader’s attention, making them pick the book up from a shelf or click on it electronically. Publishers and authors spend a lot of time coming up with just the right one to interest the reader. You, the reader, get a hint about the book from the cover, so don’t overlook it when starting to read.
  • The Copyright Page – this is the page with tiny print of boring stuff. It is, however, quite important—more than to satisfy the publisher’s legal department. If you’re reading a non-fiction book, it’s vital to know when it was published. If it gives you information to improve your life or health, you want it to be current. If it’s fiction, it’s good to know when it was published because then you can appreciate the time period of the writing.
  • Disclaimer - I love the statement about this being a piece of fiction and “names have been changed to protect...” Sounds like the old Dragnet show, doesn’t it? It got me off the hook with my novel when I used Beaver Island, Michigan, as a setting for part of the book. I fictionalized its use—keeping true to the flavor of the island and its residents but making up some things.
  • The Publisher – this lets you know if it’s one of the big Five or a smaller publishing house. Not necessary but nice to know. Also, is it distributed in other countries?
  • The Dedication Page – I like to read this because it hints at someone who is important in the author’s life. I had my dedication to my husband, Bob, written thirty years ago. It took me that long to come up with a novel to go with it!
I enjoy reading the Acknowledgements Page only after I’ve read the book. I don’t really care who helped the author along the way until I’ve read their work and feel a connection to them. My publisher wanted me to put that page in the front of my novel but I insisted it go at the end. Hopefully, my readers got to know me a little through my writing, and then cared a smidgen about what and who inspired me. If not, then they don’t have to read it.

Book Discussion Questions. If an author has included this, you might look at it. I was able to personalize my novel through these questions. Some readers commented they liked how I applied the book’s themes to their lives.

There are lots of ways to read a book. I want you to get the very most out of a reading experience. It can be delightful.

If you’ve read my novel, would you leave a review on Amazon or Barnes and Noble? Thank you. Also, I invite you to visit my website. Click here: website

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.