Thursday, July 23, 2015

Some Thoughts on Harper Lee's New Novel

Disclaimer: I taught To Kill a Mockingbird for many years in the high school English classroom. It is my all-time favorite thing to teach. Every time I took a group of students through this novel, I saw something new. I loved watching them read ahead in the book and then sit mesmerized during the movie. I am very biased about Harper Lee's writing. Nevertheless, I would like to share a few thoughts about her new novel, written in the late 1950s but just published last week. I will try not to spoil the story for anyone who hasn't yet read Go Set a Watchman.

Some thoughts:
  • Harper Lee was a woman before her time. She was a white, southern woman who was color-blind to race, and that was an anomaly in the late 1950s.
  • The book could not have been  published in its present form back then. It would have caused a firestorm. I think it needs the perspective of the Civil Rights Movement and whatever progress has been made since then. (I realize more progress needs to be made on this front.)
  • Her editors wisely advised her to rewrite the novel (which she did as To Kill a Mockingbird) from the point of view of the children. Doing that naturally softened the tone, smoothed over the cynicism, and made the theme very powerful.
  • The novel gave me insight in to some of the fears the southerners were facing at that time. They feared a loss of their lifestyle, comfort, and shared equality. They feared change. They felt the Federal Government was infringing on states' rights. Whether or not these fears were justified, remains debatable.
  • Atticus had to help Jean Louise "cut the umbilical cord," because she had an unrealistic view of her father. He knew she needed to find her own voice, her own conscience--in essence "set her own watchman." She had placed him too high upon the pedestal, and he knew that would not serve her well throughout life.
A key to understanding the theme of any novel is to look to the title. Go Set a Watchman references a Bible verse from Isaiah 21:6:

"For thus hath the Lord said unto me, Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth." (KJV)

A similar verse can be found in Ezekiel 3:17:

"Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me." (NIV)

In ancient Israel, a watchman's job was to stand atop the city wall and report on a battle or announce the arrival of a messenger or enemy. In the spiritual realm, the prophet served as a watchman warning the people of Israel to turn from sin to God and righteous living.

Some questions to ask:
  • Whom do I put on a pedestal? Whom do I admire so much I cannot see their true humanity? Is there an Atticus in my life?
  • Do I set a watchman over my own conscience? Have I established a strong set of values for moral living?
Harper Lee does her best writing when looking through the eyes of children. Her scenes of Jem, Dill, and Scout playing in the backyard took me right back to my own childhood. Her descriptions of child's play are amazingly accurate.

I will read this novel again, because I believe there is more to be gleaned.

I would love to hear from those of you who have read it. Do you agree? Disagree? Have any other insights I've missed? Leave your response in the Comment section below.

Thank you.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.