Thursday, January 21, 2016

Mistakes or Inventions?



Years ago, I wanted to win the Pillsbury Bake-off contest. It was a stretch, but I thought it would be neat. For entering, I received 100 recipe cards using crescent rolls. My attempted recipe never got past the entry judges. Sigh.

One of those 100 recipes is called Pecan Breakfast Bread (recipe below). I’m a rule follower so I made it strictly according to directions, or so I thought. It is a tasty quick bread of dough filled with sugar, cinnamon, and pecans. My family loves it.

Many years later, I discovered (how, I don’t know) I was placing the filled and rolled crescent rolls into the loaf pan in the wrong direction. Good news is my way produced a lovely bread with the pinwheel look. It tasted the same but the presentation was much better.

Why all this? Mistakes often turn out to be opportunities or inventions. Think of the famous story of the scientist from 3M who attempted to create an adhesive. It failed and the results are Post-its. I don’t know about you readers, but I would not remember a thing without Post-its. I am glad his glue formula failed.

In the craft of knitting, sometimes it’s acceptable to make a stitch wrong if you do it consistently. I believe that’s how new stitches and patterns sometimes are created.

Isn’t it uplifting to know God takes our mistakes and turns them into opportunities? 

  • If we learn from a mistake, it becomes valuable.
  • If we create something beautiful, useful, or tasty from our mistakes, that is good.

I once bought a package of erasers and under the logo was this phrase:

“A second chance at perfection.”

That phrase struck me as good theology. God forgives our sins and mistakes and ushers us into heaven (perfection) through belief in Jesus Christ. Wow. All that on an eraser package!

God gave us all the gift of creativity and invention. Sometimes the pathway to great discoveries is filled with many mistakes. Take heart the next time you mess up. Perhaps God is leading you toward a heavenly invention.

What about you? What are some "mistakes turned into good things" from your life? Share in the Comments section.

PECAN BREAKFAST BREAD

2 cans Pillsbury Ref. Crescent Rolls
2 T. butter, softened
½ C. sugar
¼ C. chopped pecans
2 t. cinnamon

            Separate crescent dough into 16 triangles.  Spread ea. w/ butter.  Combine sugar, pecans, & cinnamon; sprinkle over triangles.  Roll up ea. triangle, starting at wide end & rolling to opposite point.  Place rolls, point side down, in greased 9x5” loaf pan, forming 2 layers of 8 rolls each.  (Place rolls lengthwise in pan.)

            Bake at 375° for 35 – 40 min. or ‘til golden brown & center is done.  Remove from pan at once; place right side up & drizzle w/ Topping or powdered sugar glaze.

Topping:

¼ C. powdered sugar                2 T. honey
2 T. butter                                 1 t. vanilla
¼ C. pecan halves

In sauce pan, combine all ingred. except pecans.  Bring to boil, stirring constantly.  Stir in pecans.  Cool slightly.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.