Thursday, January 28, 2016

Oops!

My day wasn't going well. Everything seemed out of sorts and then it hit me: I had forgotten my usual quiet time in the early morning hours. It is a habit I've developed over the years that has blessed my days immeasurably. But, on this day, I forgot.

It took many years for my time of Bible reading and prayer to become a habit. Now it is as natural as brushing my teeth or combing my hair. As a busy mom, wife, and teacher, I often relegated my communication time with God to, "Whenever I could fit it in."

Finally, about twenty years ago, it clicked that to have a good day, I must give God my attention, first, before anything else. In the last decade of my working years, that time was 5:30 a.m.--not easy since I struggled with mornings.

Once it became an ingrained habit, a holy habit, it was easy to do and greatly missed when I forgot. As was the case on this particular day.

It occurred to me, what if God forgot to do something? Can you imagine him saying:
  • "Sorry. I forgot to put the sun up in the sky today."
  • "Too bad I won't be doing Spring blossoms this year. You'll have to put up with bare trees and no flowers. And, that green summer grass? Forget it."
God and his creation are so very dependable, even when unusual occurrences happen--like earthquakes and the recent El Nino storms. Not only is creation dependable, but his love is ever-present.

In today's rocky world, it's reassuring to know God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. All he asks of me is to take time to communicate with him. When I forget, I sadden him.

What about you? Do you struggle to establish alone time with God? (We all do, by the way.) What do you do to help make it a priority in your faith walk? Share in the Comments below and perhaps we can learn from one another.

Meanwhile, go talk with God. He's waiting for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your dialog. Remember to click "Publish" so your comment will be posted.